Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Little Love Notes

On Mother's Day evening I was trying to put my kids to bed. The next morning was the beginning of the State Standardized Testing (STAR), so it was important that they be rested. After an exciting weekend of spending time with cousins, eating lots of yummy food and the best of all, talking to Brandon on the phone, it was difficult to get them to settle down. Unfortunately, things progressed to the point where I had to be stern and although this doesn't phase the boys in the least, Brie is more sensitive. I knew she wasn't very happy with me when she finally put her head down on her pillow and turned off the light. But, I didn't know just how upset she was until the next morning when I found a note she had carefully placed on the top of my jewelry box:


I couldn't help but smile as I read it and chuckled a little, too. I brought the note into the bathroom where Jade was shaving. He looked surprised. I then explained the events from the previous evening. He said to me, "Save that!" I agreed and laughed. Then Brie came into the room and gave me a big hug and kiss. "Good Morning, Mommy!" "Good Morning, Sweetheart! How did you sleep?" I said. Then, I showed her what I had found. At first she looked at the note as if she didn't remember. Then a coy little smile came to her face and she blushed! She took the note and tried to rip it. "No, no, no! I'm saving this!" I said.

Later that morning after everyone left for school and the house was quiet, I remembered a story my mom told me from when I was little. She says that when I was 8 years old she found a note I had left for her on her pillow. It said something to the effect, "I don't love you!" I always felt bad about that story, even had a difficult time believing that I would actually do that. Now I know that not only did I do that, but that it probably made my mom chuckle and smile, just like Brie's note did for me!

0 comments: